The Kirwan Heights Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1926 by employees at the Vanadium Steel Mill (currently Universal Stainless and Alloy). In 1930 the firefighters constructed a building at the corner of Vanadium Road and Washington Pike, and this has been the department’s home since that time. In the early 1950s Kirwan Heights VFD was one of the first patient transport services in Allegheny County, and still remains active in EMS Kirwan Heights currently has an advanced life support ambulance service, which is staffed 24/7 - 365 days a year, and services the residents of Collier Township.
Community Involvement & Services
Kirwan Heights VFD is also very active within the community, offering
Car seat inspections
Fire extinguisher training
A yearly MDA Boot Drive for Jerry’s Kids
A myriad of other activities and training
As always, Kirwan Heights VFD is looking for new members, and fire and EMS training is free.